If you do not want the Student Health Insurance Plan, you must decline or opt-out of coverage by submitting a waiver. You may only opt-out of coverage during the following Waiver Periods:
Fall Semester: 06/08/2021 - 10/04/2021
2021-2022 Academic Year
Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center students in most academic programs are required to have Health Insurance that is Affordable Cares Act (ACA) compliant. There is a small group of programs that do not require insurance so make sure to check first if your program is on the list attached.
The University has established circumstances in which a student can request a waiver to the student health insurance plan by providing alternative health insurance coverage. In order to be approved for a waiver, your alternate health coverage must meet or exceed the requirements as set forth below and be submitted by your program’s waiver deadline (See Above).
Criteria to submit a waiver request:
- Student is covered by a U.S. employer health insurance plan, Marketplace plans (bronze, silver, gold, platinum plans) or Medicaid/Medicare plan that is compliant with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Please note: travel plans, short term plans, healthcare sharing plans or plans that require you to pay for treatment yourself and then apply for reimbursement will NOT be acceptable for waiving the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center Student Health Insurance Plan.
If you meet the above criteria, then your alternative health insurance coverage must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Medical coverage must be currently active.
- Medical coverage must be ACA Compliant - Coverage which accepts preexisting conditions and meets the criteria of a. Minumum Value and b. Essential Health Benefits.
- Minimum Value covers at least 60 percent of the total allowed cost of benefits that are expected to be incurred under the plan.
- Essential Health Benefits include hospitalization, ambulatory services, emergency services, maternity and newborn care, mental health and substance abuse treatment, prescription drugs, lab tests, preventative services, pediatric services, rehabilitative, and “habilitative” services.
The following requirements only apply to international students
- Medical evacuation coverage in the amount of $10,000 USD.
- Repatriation coverage in the amount of $7,500 USD.
If your alternate coverage meets the above minimum requirements; acquire the following scanned documents to submit a waiver request:
- The front and back of your insurance card